You wonder, who taught me how to make crepes? It was a long time ago, when I still lived in Aachen and had a French girlfriend I met in my choir: Laure vom Chor - thank you!
Or, maybe you just want to know the recipe? I never knew how the recipe was, I just did them. However, I had to write it down for a small cooking event at the US embassy in Astana, Kazakhstan.
Here you go:
- 1 cup of flour (you can use any flower, try rye or full wheat flower for savory crepes!)
- 2 cups of milk (make sure it has at least 2% fat)
- 4 eggs
- a dash of salt
Just remember 1-2-4 f.m.e.!
Blend all the above (start blending eggs and flour and slowly add the milk - in steps of half cups - this way you avoid clumping). Let it sit for at least 15 minutes (you can also let it sit over night then you are ready to go for breakfast).
Do them in a coated crepes pan (not much greasing necessary) on not too high heat (be patient!). It can take 5-10 minutes for one.
Some ideas for toppings:
- Nutmeg, pepper (and or chili flakes), a slice of good ham (prosciutto-like), fry an egg on top, sprinkle cheese on top and cover with some green salad (arugola or spinach or any other tasty greens), top-up with sour cream or crème fraiche
- Plenty of Nutella or another chocolate spread
- If you like add bananas or strawberries
- Add a good amount of sugar on top
- Add cinamon, if you like
- Wait until the sugar starts melting
- If you are up to the adventure, flambé it with a mix of Rum and Grappa or with Calvados.
Bon appetit and enjoy and comment, if you were successful or have more ideas.